Truthfully, finding the right wedding gown may not be an easy choice, it could potentially put a big dent in your wedding budget, and may take months to process, order, and alter. So it shouldn’t be put off until the last minute. The perfect gown is a visual representation of your wedding day style and you might have to search several shops before you find the right one, or maybe you’ll get lucky and love the first dress you see. Either way it is an important part of every Bride’s wedding journey.
I sat down with Amber Smith, co-owner of I Do A Bridal Boutique, to discuss the things you need to know before you try on your first wedding gown. Her storefront is located in Shelbyville, Kentucky. As a full-service salon, Amber makes every bride the focus by offering private 2 hour appointments so you can find your favorite dress without interruption. I have recently visited Amber’s store and was very impressed with the spacious fitting rooms. There was room for you and your closest friends or family to enjoy the moment when you finally start to feel and look like a bride. Amber wants every bride to have an unforgettable experience so she has a few tips in order to be better prepared when you start your search.
Wedding Gown Shopping:
• Find out if it is necessary to have an appointment or if you can walk-in during store hours.
• Ask the store how long it takes to get the dress ordered.
• Ask how long you should allow for your first appointment and follow-up appointments.
• Ask what dress sizes are available and be prepared to convert your regular dress size to European sizes which is standard for wedding gowns.
• Consider your venue and the season when choosing a dress style to make sure they are a good match.
• Make sure you come in looking your best and ready to take lots of photos. That way you will be able to compare styles later and have the perfect picture to save for your memories when you finally select your dress.
Amber Smith has a degree from the University of Kentucky in Merchandising, Apparel, and Textiles. She is passionate about fashion and is the co-owner of I Do A Bridal Boutique with her mother-in-law, Susan Herrick. After being disappointed with her own experience when shopping for her wedding gown, Amber envisioned a boutique that offered a better one-on-one relationship with those who came into the store. Her goal is to make every bride feel beautiful while finding the perfect wedding dress that fits their style, personality, and budget. You can find more info about I Do A Bridal Boutique at www.idobridalky.com.
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
• SIGN-UP HERE to be on our email list and get EVERY part of the Unveiled series sent directly to your Inbox.
• CLICK HERE to auto-download a PDF of the information Amber has given about wedding gown shopping.
• CLICK HERE to go back to the first part of the Unveiled Series: Budgeting for a Fairy-Tale Wedding with Sharon Rumsey.
• CLICK HERE to discover why PhotoSculptor is the right photographer for your wedding.